Diverse Books Toolkit
As you infuse diverse, inclusive, and culturally relevant materials into fiction and nonfiction reading experiences, this toolkit helps analyze collections, identify and bring to life diverse texts, and encourage reflection on cultural representation. see more
As you infuse diverse, inclusive, and culturally relevant materials into fiction and nonfiction reading experiences, this toolkit helps analyze collections, identify and bring to life diverse texts, and encourage reflection on cultural representation.
- Identify exceptional diverse books for all children and teens
- Bring culture and race to the forefront of literary conversations with culturally relevant, primary source materials
- Facilitate conversations about children's and young adult books by learning the inspiration of these books, directly from the author or illustrator
- Analyze and generate reports that examine the genre and cultural inclusion of books in your custom lists and collections
- Facilitate student reflection on the cultural representation of the characters, setting, and events in the diverse books each student reads
For historical context, see data on books by and about people of color and from First/Native Nations published for children and teens as far back as 1985, compiled by the Cooperative Children's Book Center, School of Education, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Examine your booklists, syllabi, and collections so that they best represent your goals for diversity and inclusion. Also included in each report is a "Not Represented" analysis where you can click to identify titles to potentially add to your collections.
Generate your List Analysis Report three different ways.
Note: The first two options generate a custom reading list filled with resources for each title, along with providing the report. The third option is just the Collection Analysis Report.